Friday has been declared a National Day of Prayer and Remembrance. At MIT, observances and resources will include the following:
- All day - The Class of 2002 Council will be distributing white ribbons in Lobby 10.
- All day - 1 a.m. - DuPont and Rockwell Athletic Facilities Open - All weekend the operating hours of the MIT Athletics department will be open until 1 a.m. (the pool and weight rooms are excluded from these extended hours).
- 5:15 p.m. - Dedication of the Reflecting Wall at MIT - next to the MIT Chapel.
In response to the tragic loss of lives in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, and in the spirit of the student-initiated 'paper memorial' in Lobby 10, MIT is constructing and dedicating The Reflecting Wall at MIT, which recalls the structure of the World Trade Center. This is a specially designed temporary space where people may pause to reflect and leave messages, flowers, or other symbolic remembrances. The MIT and larger community are invited to join in prayer and reflection at a short dedication ceremony and vigil at 5:15 pm.
- All day - MIT community memorial - Lobby 10 - a paper memorial for those in our community who are lost or who have suffered in the recent tragedy. The paper lining the walls invites passersby to record their thoughts and read the thoughts of their community.
- Immediate opportunity - Diversity and community programming -The Committee on Campus Race Relations has immediate funding available for programs or activities that enhance community understanding among the diverse ethnic and religious groups on MIT's campus. Grant applications (which will be handled immediately) are available on the CCRR grants page.
- Immediate opportunity - Fundraising for families of victims - The MIT Public Service Center staff is available to discuss fundraising plans for the families of the victims who died in Tuesday's tragedy.
Additional resources available throughout the day - MIT counseling and support
For further information and updates, please check the following:
MIT Snow line: 253-7669
MIT cable channel 12